
Planes have fallen out of the sky. Cars have stopped moving. Watches and clocks have stopped ticking; and the world as everyone knows it, is coming to an end. Deni Branning just wants to plan her dream wedding. Her family just wants to keep living the life they have grown accustomed to; but all of that changes when a world that is run by technology, no longer has any of it. Now, Deni is stuck in Birmingham, Alabama with her family; and all she wants is to get back to her fiancé in Washington DC. But will the outage bring out the worst in people? What will the people who live in this quiet neighborhood do when they discover that one of their own is a killer?
Terri Blackstock begins the Restoration series with “Last Light”. When I first picked up the book, I was surprised that I did not find it to be as fast-paced as the “Intervention” series. Rather than reading “Last Light” in less than a day (which is something I have grown accustomed to when reading Terri’s up-all-night fiction), it took me several days; but by the middle of the book, I was far from disappointed. I was desperate to know more! “Last Light” is a great beginning to the series! I can’t imagine what waits in the next three books!
Terri’s character development is truly exceptional! She has gained my attention with the way she creates characters who are real to the reader. Never once do you feel like you are just reading a story. The characters are real people; and they often feel like friends. The first half of the novel was mostly character development; and that made it very slow-paced; however, by the middle of the book, I knew that every second of character development was necessary for what was coming. By then, I had analyzed every character because I felt like I knew them. I spent so much time analyzing their every action, just trying to identify the killer. It wasn’t until the middle of the story that I realized that Terri had done her job well by spending so much time on character development. The book would not have been as powerful; and the ending would not have been as intense if I did not feel a strong connection to the characters.
“Last Light” puts a lot of things into perspective. How much do we love our stuff? What are we willing to do to keep it? The outage brought out the worst in a lot of people; and it really emphasized the biblical teachings of sharing what we have.
While it is not as fast-paced as the Intervention series, “Last Light” is an amazing story! Fans of thriller, suspense, mystery, and Christian novels will love this novel!
*A copy of this book was provided by Zondervan in exchange for my honest review*
No comments:
Post a Comment