Hidden deep within the Vatican archives is a list—a list that contains both revelation and truth, as well as the power to destroy. For once the truth is revealed, the Catholic Church would be destroyed.
Jaimie Piper’s life has been everything but normal. Hunted by evil and darkness, Jaimie spent most of the past twelve years confused, until a psychiatrist and a priest promised to help; but the one day that her psychiatrist does not answer her call, Jaimie runs to the only other person she feels she can trust—her teacher, Crockett Grey. Crockett Grey is definitely not prepared to help the twelve year old girl who shows up at his door, since his only plans were to get drunk and pass through the anniversary of his daughter’s death; but once Jaimie chose him, there was no turning back. Crockett soon discovers that he is part of a plot that must somehow involve the girl; but what he doesn’t realize, is that he is actually a part of a conspiracy that has been long hidden…by the Vatican. Trying to clear his name of the various charges that have been placed against him, Crockett searches for answers; but the answer he finds will alter everything he once believed.
It seems like more and more authors are wanting to write suspense stories that reveal a conspiracy of sorts that has been hidden by the Catholic Church. I must say that usually these stories are not well researched and just not very good; however, as a fan of “The Da’Vinci Code” by Dan Brown, I will pick one up on occasion. “The Canary List” is especially intriguing since the main character, Jaimie, is supposedly being hunted by evil, and can only keep that evil at bay with a magnetic bracelet. This story had me constantly wanting to know what was going to happen next; and putting it down was simply not an option. Complete with several distractions, twists, and turns that confuse you into believing that you’ve been wrong from the very beginning, Sigmund Brouwer is a master of suspense. It seemed like I had a new idea of what was going on and how the book would end after every other chapter; and then I couldn’t believe what I was reading as I read the ending.
Satanism in the Vatican—the ultimate conspiracy that could change the world; that is what Sigmund Brouwer presents in this story that is sure to keep you up all night wanting more.
I was definitely not prepared for what I would get when I opened “The Canary List”; but from the very first sentence, I was caught completely off-guard and my emotions ran wild as I escaped into a story which I wasn’t sure I wanted to be involved in; nevertheless, my fascination got the best of me and I went along for the ride. I must warn you though that the summary does not provide justice for this story. I couldn’t believe what I was reading once I had read the first sentence. Shaking with tears running down my face as I stared at something so real and gripping on the first page, I knew this wouldn’t just be another story for me. The opening chapter grabs you and refuses to let go.
While the characters can be interesting at times, they are nowhere near as developed as the storyline. Brouwer clearly has the ability to pen an excellent story that keeps the reader coming back; however, his characters just seem like people who are also along for the ride. I wouldn’t say they are characters that will not soon be forgotten; however, I was very intrigued with Jaimie, since I was able to relate to a lot of her emotions. I determined from the very beginning that Jaimie was basically me ten years ago; with the exception that I was not being hunted by evil. Her emotions were very believable and accurate for a girl with her past and the current situation she still faces.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of suspense! “The Canary List” certainly does not disappoint; and at the end, you will only want more.
*This book was provided by Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing in exchange for my honest review*
No comments:
Post a Comment