
Nobody would ever understand the nightmare that Nolan Gray lived for two years while he was held hostage during the war. It was a nightmare that nobody could even imagine—something so horrible that he wished he could just forget; but unlike other trauma victims, Nolan was highly trained in almost every type of combat. As a matter of fact, nobody on earth was trained as he was; so he pushed back all of the memories, and took action. For the past ten years, he has been working on a plan—a plan that would put a stop to the evil that was destroying New York City. After ten years of intense preparation, Nolan became the hope that New York had been waiting for; but at what cost? Nolan becomes obsessed with finding the man who is responsible for the worst evil in New York City; but is the man he is searching the only man who can stand in his way? Will confrontations with evil bring his past back to destroy him? Will he have to sacrifice everything he values to destroy the evil of New York? Is it even possible that the cost of destroying the biggest crime boss of New York would be everything that Nolan has ever loved and valued? And of course, will Nolan’s faith be destroyed by the Vigilante mission he has taken?
With his unique skills and training, and high tech gadgets created for his mission, Nolan Gray gives off the superhero persona that makes this book very unique and keeps you hanging on every word. Unlike actual superhero stories, Nolan is not truly a superhero; but to the people of New York, he becomes one as he seems to appear or fly out of nowhere just when help is needed most. I absolutely loved this aspect of the book and I feel like it is something that really makes the book stand out among other stories of this type.
I have heard from many people that they felt like the story would be too similar to "The Priest's Graveyard". To respond to that belief, I would say that although the two books have similar qualities since both characters come from a tragic past and feel as if they can personally defeat evil, the books also have many differences, including the superhero aspect of "Vigilante" and the difference in the ways that Nolan and Danny handle their "victims". In "The Priest's Graveyard", Danny killed his victims if they were not willing to admit to their wrongs and repent; whereas in "Vigilante", Nolan has a very strong (though controversial) faith, and doesn't begin with the thought of killing any of his victims, but instead exposing them so that they can be punished and the streets of New York can be free of their influence and destruction.
(I promise the following tangent has a point; but if you really just want to skip this then go down to the last 2 paragraphs)
Initially, I chose “Vigilante” for my next review because it had a quote by my favorite author (and author of "The Priest's Graveyard", Ted Dekker on the front: “Parrish’s stories are sure to shape fiction for years to come.” I was searching for another book that would be of a similar caliber of the adrenaline producing thrillers and the unforgettable fantasy that I have grown accustomed to as a fan of Ted Dekker. It is obvious to anyone who knows me, that I have a passion for discovering and exposing truth. This passion is something that I have always been interested in; but it became so much stronger when I began reading books by Ted Dekker. My entire life changed when I was introduced to his books because, until then, I had never read a book that was so real—a book that exposed evil for what it really was, and didn’t try to make it into something easier on the eye.
With his unique skills and training, and high tech gadgets created for his mission, Nolan Gray gives off the superhero persona that makes this book very unique and keeps you hanging on every word. Unlike actual superhero stories, Nolan is not truly a superhero; but to the people of New York, he becomes one as he seems to appear or fly out of nowhere just when help is needed most. I absolutely loved this aspect of the book and I feel like it is something that really makes the book stand out among other stories of this type.
I have heard from many people that they felt like the story would be too similar to "The Priest's Graveyard". To respond to that belief, I would say that although the two books have similar qualities since both characters come from a tragic past and feel as if they can personally defeat evil, the books also have many differences, including the superhero aspect of "Vigilante" and the difference in the ways that Nolan and Danny handle their "victims". In "The Priest's Graveyard", Danny killed his victims if they were not willing to admit to their wrongs and repent; whereas in "Vigilante", Nolan has a very strong (though controversial) faith, and doesn't begin with the thought of killing any of his victims, but instead exposing them so that they can be punished and the streets of New York can be free of their influence and destruction.
(I promise the following tangent has a point; but if you really just want to skip this then go down to the last 2 paragraphs)
Initially, I chose “Vigilante” for my next review because it had a quote by my favorite author (and author of "The Priest's Graveyard", Ted Dekker on the front: “Parrish’s stories are sure to shape fiction for years to come.” I was searching for another book that would be of a similar caliber of the adrenaline producing thrillers and the unforgettable fantasy that I have grown accustomed to as a fan of Ted Dekker. It is obvious to anyone who knows me, that I have a passion for discovering and exposing truth. This passion is something that I have always been interested in; but it became so much stronger when I began reading books by Ted Dekker. My entire life changed when I was introduced to his books because, until then, I had never read a book that was so real—a book that exposed evil for what it really was, and didn’t try to make it into something easier on the eye.
I have become obsessed with books that expose the war that goes on around us every moment of every day. I search for truth in books—often a truth that is ignored by many of the typical sheltered Americans because it is too gruesome for them to accept as reality.
As a reader, a writer, and a student, I try to live by a particular quote that I always keep in mind.
“We Christian writers must paint evil with the blackest of brushes, not to sow fear, but to call out the monsters to be scattered by our light. If Satan cloaks himself as an angel of white, intent on deceiving the world, any attempt on our parts to minimize evil is only complicit with his strategy... Turn to the light; don’t fear the shadows it creates.”
-Ted Dekker
Very good review! I'm a bit confused, though. How is this story different from The Priest's Graveyard?
ReplyDelete1.) Nolan Gray is a war hero trained in every kind of combat and martial arts. He's the closest thing to a modern day superhero that the world could imagine. I LOVED the superhero aspect of the book. That alone made it take on a completely different feel than the Priest's Graveyard.
ReplyDelete2.) "Vigilante" is a LOT more fast-paced than TPG as well. Your head will just keep spinning from page 1 all the way to the end.
3.) Nolan has a lot stronger faith than Danny from TPG and it's a faith that's a lot more real. He mentions a few times that Christ did something that no man could ever do and that he could never replace him (Even though many of the citizens of New York start to believe he may be the second coming). That angers him because he wants people to see the truth but at the same time he feels like someone needs to show the people "a better way" (a life rid of the heavy crime of New York). He does have some holes in his faith since he does try to take things into his own hands (that is why his faith can be controversial among readers); but he has a true understanding of Christ and His sacrifice on the cross and that leads him to want to show the world a better way; and unlike Danny, he doesn't seek to kill anyone. From the beginning of the story, he is only trying to expose the people participating in all types of crime so that the police know who they are; but like I said, will his "vigilante" persona change him? Will his mission destroy his morals?
Those are some of the main differences. Most of the differences lie in the overall feel of the book--which is something very difficult to explain--and the fact that Nolan and Danny are 2 completely different characters. The only thing they have in common is that they are trying to take care of the problem of evil people.
You really need to get your hands on "Nightmare" by Robin. That was the first book of his I read and now I'm hooked. I don't even *like* suspense but I love reading Robin Parrish! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's already on my list! :D I'm excited about it!
ReplyDeleteWow, I guess I'll have to read this! :)
ReplyDelete